Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Back to the Great Outdoors

Photos: August 8-9, 2008

We met up with our friend Jamey and Tracy for round two of summer camping. It was so very easy to just show up at their camping spot at Paulina Lake. They are incredibly experienced campers and had everything you could ever think of needing while camping. We only stayed one night but made the most of it playing and going on some adventures.

First adventure: Hiking along the lake. The best part of this was some photo-ops along the way with Austin and Emily. Pretty much anything that Austin and Emily are doing is what Jonas wants to do, too. Aren't they cute in their little bucket hats?


Between adventures Jonas and Emily played ring toss at the campsite.


And of course played in the tent...our new tent that was a gift from Scott and DeAnne. It was great to have such a big tent just for the 3 of us. Lots of room to move around.

Adventure #2: First fishing trip. Jonas suited up for fishing. Safety first!



Out on the boat the kids had a lot of fun but no one caught anything. That was okay since they were mostly in it for the fashion.

Photo below shows as close to fishing as Jonas got. He abandoned his pole after a couple minutes and Tony was left holding the tiny florescent green kids pole.

Adventure #3: checking out Paulina Falls. The very top photo on this post is also at the falls. We walked around for a little bit to check things out and, of course, get some more super cute photos of the kids.




Adventure #4: Hiking through the Obsidian Flow. If you're ever around the Paulina Lake area, near LaPine, OR, check out this Obsidian Flow. It's incredible. It was a little more treacherous for the kids (esp. Jonas) than we expected but was really amazing. All this was lava that flowed out when Mt. Newberry erupted.



Near the highest point on the Obsidian Flow trail.

Emily showing off her incredible muscles. She pretty and strong!

Adventure #5: Paulina Peak. Just before we left on saturday afternoon we all drove up to Paulina Peak where you can see all of the Newberry Caldera (crater) which has Paulina Lake and East Lake in it. You can also see a lot of the Cascade Range mountains. Very impressive.

I imagine this is the same pose as the original discoverer of Paulina Lake, Mr. Paulina.
(pretty sure my eyes are closed, don't look too closely)

1 comment:

sarah corbett morgan said...

Hi Amy. It's been awhile since I left a message. This was fun. I saw so many places I remember-- like a mini-vacation around Central Oregon. I had a good time and I'm sure I'm not nearly as tired as I imagine you are, looking after that rambunctious Jonas boy.s Jonas boy.

s