Tuesday, June 2, 2009

The Magic Kingdom

Photos and Video: May 29, 2009

That's right, folks. We made it to Disneyland. This was quite a big deal especially considering this conversation between Tony and I a year or so ago after several of our friends had taken their families to Disney.

Me: So do you think we'll ever go to Disneyland?
Tony: Why would we?

It's not like I was dying to go I just wanted to feel like it was a possibility, however remote. Then we found out that the Foursquare International Convention was going to be in Anaheim this year and that pretty much sealed the deal. Ok, it didn't actually "seal the deal" until we found a better price for tickets since we weren't willing to take out a second mortgage on our house just to pay for Disney tickets.

Sooooo, here's our trip to Disneyland:

Here are the two "first timers" ready to head for the rides. Tony had never been to Disneyland before but I have been twice. The first time was when I was in 5th grade. I went with my mom, 2 brothers and my grandparents. It was to celebrate my oldest brother graduating from high school. The second time was in 1993 with my best friend, Dawn, right after we graduated from high school. Both trips were awesome for very different reasons. This time it was so fun to see how excited Jonas was about everything. He didn't really have a clue what Disneyland was before we got there. He learned really fast that there are so many cool things to see and so many people in line that are going to see them before you. I can't even begin to tell you the number of times Tony and I uttered the phrase "just be patient, it's going to be awhile."

We took the advice of others and got to the park right when it opened and were among the first people to get in line for Dumbo. Jonas didn't really know Dumbo but he knew "that flyin' elephant."

Dumbo flies pretty high and that makes it hard to photograph both people in the elephant. If you click on the pic to enlarge it you can just make out the tiny little bit of Jonas' head that is showing. I assure you that he's in there with me and I was not flying around and around in that elephant all by my lonesome.
After a 15 minute wait Jonas got to experience 20 seconds of joy on his first roller coaster. This ride was described as "a good beginner roller coaster." Yeh, what I think they mean is kids begin to realize they have to wait in line a loooooong time in exchange for a few thrilling seconds.

Weeeeeeeee!!!!!!!

I think the adult to kid ratio on this ride is funny.

Giddy-Up, Urban Cowboy. Gotta love the classic carosel.

3 comments:

tara doty said...

'scuse me... people want to know about the "celebrity" you ran into while there! where's his pic?

anyway, I've been waiting for this post from your trip. looks like you had such a sweet time togeth.

I, too, love Disney.. Chris had his first visit there after we were married. you can't NOT love it! now we can't wait to go back w/ the girls someday.

okay, have I bored you yet w/ my blog post commenting?

love you, tilegirl!

Connie and Pat said...

More info please...Pat and I went to Disney Land for our honeymoon. 37 years ago today. We had fun too.

TileGirl said...

Ya, Tara, I know that you've gotten the 'inside scoop' on our celebrity sighting...Tony kinda stole my thunder by posting the vacation pics on facebook before I got to blog about it...although there are only about 5 people who ever read my blog because they're all too busy with FACEBOOK. But I applaud you for being able to not only juggle facebook and my blog but you also COMMENT and that is soooo appreciated. You are still the Queen even if you and I are the only ones who know it.

Be patient and stay tuned...I will be posting many more pics, vids and details about our Magical Experience.

********
Connie- I didn't know you and Pat were Disney honeymooners. That's awesome. I'm guessing one or two things may have changed in the last 37 years. =) And Happy Anniversary to you two.